Kelleys Island Wine Co.
The Kelley’s Island Wine Co. is the Island’s only Winery! This is a great place for family and groups. We have the largest outdoor facility on the island with picnic tables, horseshoes, volleyball, a children’s play area, and plenty of room to throw a frisbee or a ball! The Kelley’s Island Winery features a winery viewing area, a tasting room tavern, gift shop, full restaurant with dining room, covered outdoor pavilions, and catering service for up to 350 people. Visit us at kelleysislandwineco.com for more information.
- Import and domestic cheese platters served w/ French bread and fresh fruit
- vegetarian and vegan options
- House-made Small Plates
- Homemade Soups and salads
- Handicap accessible
- Air Conditioned inside tasting room
- Gift Shop
- Wine made on premises
- Outdoor porch and picnic tables
- Horseshoes and volley ball
April to October Summer 10:00 a.m. to 10 p.m. Off Season Weekday – 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Weekend – 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
In 1870 this house was owned by Nicholas Smith as shown on the 1870 Census and the 1874 Atlas map of Erie Co. Information from the Hamilton Collection indicates it was given to Smith by Addison Kelley. The 1865 Nunan map cites the property as part of Addison Kelley’s large holdings in Lot 9. As the only stone mason living on the island from 1865 through 1880, Smith undoubtedly had a part in the design and/or building this house as well as most, if not all, the stone houses that were built on Kelley Family property during these years. A list of these houses and their dates are as follows:
Frederick Kelley Residence, Addison Road, 1862
Frank Kelley Tenant House, E. Lake Shore, 1860
Chas & Ed. Kelley Tenant House, Division Street, 1860
Julius Kelley Residence, Water Street, 1666
Frank Kelley Residence, Addison Road, 1881
Frederick Kelley Tenant House, Woodford Road, 1860
Nicholas Smith and his wife had emigrated from Bavaria in 1858 coming to Kelleys Island sometime after 1860. By 1870 he was already well established in his trade, as the year’s schedule for the products of industry finds he had cut 2000′ of stone, and had on hand $400 in materials and tools. He continued to work in stone until 1910, when, at the age of 80 he had turned to grape growing. He lived all these years on Woodford Road. Smith may have been the author of an article in “The Islander” discussing the efficiency of various building techniques on the island.
Source: “The National Register Inventory for Kelley Island” by Kevin and Betty Pape
- By Abbey Zettler
- Email: Abbey.firstname.lastname@example.org