Landmarks

Nov 17 2014

Landmarks

The German Reform Church was organized in 1865 and a ½ acre of land was purchased for the church from Alfred S. Kelley.

The church was built with native stone in 1866, quarried from across the street. This church was the third of five formal congregations on the Island. By 1871, the congregation had 25 families as members, including Baumler, Jordan, Smith, Trieschman, Becker, Burger, Renter, Nowalk, Dodge, Gerlach, Lange, Scheele, Suhr, Beatty, Schaedler, Hess, Cattenach, Elfers, Boker, Huber, Stoll, Fischer, Keifer and Pringnitz.

Read More…